A while back in February, when the weather had turned nice for a few days and we were chagrined into thinking that Spring was on the way, we decided that we would try and get a sitter for every other Sunday afternoon so that we could go out and golf or play tennis or some other outdoor activity that we are unable to accomplish with Ellie at bay. Mike is determined to get me to learn how to golf, and in theory I am not opposed, I just predict a lot of frustration and less relaxation on the very steep learning curve. My sports finesse is not tailored with patience.
Today was the first day that we actually implemented this idea. And with last weekend and the beginning of this week in the 80s, we thought we were smooth sailing. Not quite. It was a chilly 36 degrees when I left the house for my weekend long run and was only supposed to be a high of 49. Definitely not golf or tennis weather for me (but running 14 miles outside is apparently acceptable). So the time came for the babysitter to get here and we had zero idea of what to do. We finally actually left the house, determined to have some actual one on one time together, even if the back up plan was to go to Target and grocery shopping. After 15 min of aimlessly driving around, we eventually settled on heading over to Opryland, excuse me, Gaylord Opryland (I just think the Gaylord is funny). We took a stroll over to the Grand Ole Opry and checked it out and then went over to the Gaylord Opryland hotel. I had always expected something very cheesy, but I was quite surprised. Sadly the Opry Mills shopping and outlets that surrounds it are still vacant from the flood a year ago (some problem with insurance and basically no one has moved back in), but the hotel and convention center themselves are beautiful. It is sort of like a casino on the inside without the casino, an outdoors indoors if you will. All of the hotel rooms have french style balconies that open onto the various atriums which housed beautiful gardens and conservatories complete with waterfalls. It was actually really fun to stroll around there for an hour or so, even if we did sort of feel like we were out just for the sake of being out. And we can also cross it off our our Nashville bucket list. Apparently over the holidays it is quite decorated as well, something I wanted to do last year and will definitely do next. Anyone who wants to come and visit will be offered a tour!
April is looking to be a busy month, but hopefully we can get out at least once more again. We certainly love Ellie D and spending time with her, but sometimes I do feel slightly paralyzed by her age/abilities to participate in certain activities. I think sometimes when you picture your family and all of the fun things you will do together, the kids are usually older and the activities are shared by all. Although I did bust out the crayola crayons this weekend and I am thinking Ellie might have a little abstract artist in her.
No comments:
Post a Comment