The chemistry just wasn't there and it wasn't my day. Jet lag, stomach virus and rain just don't make for a good mix. Nor do long, straightaways that feel like you are never getting anywhere or not nearly as many spectators to give you that extra edge when you needed it. All of the training and preparing felt like it went for naught as I finished in 4:28. Yes, that's four hours and 28 minutes. Let's run over the goals for the marathon:
1. Finish--check
2. Have fun--no check
3. Finish in under 4 hours--well that's obvious
As previously posted, Ellie got what now appears to be rotavirus on the morning before we left. More to come on that. I woke up the morning of the race at 3 am and clearly was not going back to sleep. It was also pouring out. And I was feeling some rotavirus myself, although it could have just been nerves. But those would be some powerful nerves to have that sort of an outcome.
I wasn't able to eat anything and by mile 13 was having my visual disturbances akin to a migraine. I felt like I had ankle weights because my feet were so soaked. And I won't go even into the term "road rash".
But I finished. In spite of wanting to quit at mile 8, which I never expected--I thought it would be at least mile 21 or so, I finished. And I am VERY proud of myself for that.
Let's just see if I am crazy enough to try and redeem myself in the Country Music Marathon on April 30. I just don't want to remember it like this.
| Ellie D looking cute getting ready for the rain |
| What the heck are we doing out here in the rain? |
| Here they come! Kurt was having a great day. I look a lot happier than I am but was so excited to see our spectators. It pushed me for at least a mile. |
| Ellie was very confused when I got there. My favorite memory from the race is after we left I turned around to look and she was chasing me, screaming with her arms out. I sooooooooo wanted to go back |
| No idea who she is, but gives an idea of the backdrop. Can't say I noticed the beauty as much as I thought I would. |
| Coming down the chute for the finish line. Could NOT have been happier at this point! |
| Kurt and I at the end of the race. If you look carefully you will notice we have the same number... |
Congratulations! Great time!
ReplyDeleteThe rain didn't look like much fun, but you finished!!
Way to go!