We stayed with our friends the Sertons who reside in Fairfax, VA. The DC area has always been sort of a mystery to me because at any time you can be in 3 different states (ok, DC isn't actually a state but whatever) and everything is about 45 min away. Without traffic. In truth, we didn't really experience much DC traffic, but I could imagine what it would be like and that seems awful. Most people try and live their lives to circumvent traffic from what it seems.
Kudos to the Sertons as well for hosting us. A family of four with two small kids is no small feat to have in your home. They have one son, who is almost 7, and is extremely independent. Zack and Ellie seemed like hot messes the whole time, even though they were on very good behavior. They just required so much more work and attention than Owen did. Ellie and Owen were good friends right away though, and thankfully enjoyed playing together.
We hit up the Air and Space Museum for some downtown DC tourist activity. Ellie declared several times that she wanted to go to the moon. We also went to the National Indian Museum for lunch which was about 1 million times better than the McDonalds/Boston Market fast food combo joint they had going at the Air and Space Museum. It was probably about 5x as expensive, but it felt so much better supporting that cafeteria. And the food was really good.
We also visited with the Clarks and toured their new digs out in Alexandria, VA on Sat afternoon. Zack was a very hot mess at their place, and sadly thats most of what I remember, since I was fielding him most of the time.
Fortunately we had the foresight and Charlotte had the means to secure us some babysitters for Saturday night. They took us to an Ethiopian restaurant which I was super excited about since I have always heard about the Ethiopian population in DC. Don't ask me why. The food was excellent and it was a neat experience eating with your hands from one big bowl.
Sunday we headed up to Bethesda, MD to visit with Megan and Chris Bixler from our days in Boston. Megan and I were interns together. They hooked us up with an excellent brunch in their lovely home while our kids tore up their house. You really do realize what a difference it is to have two small children when you visit friends with out kids. Fortunately Megan is a pediatric orthopedist so she is around kids a lot. We also went out and toured the downtown Bethesda area which was also a nice place to check out.
I did also hit up Wegman's on Sunday morning before said trip. I am not sure I have ever heard a grocery store talked about more. I went in not exactly knowing what I was looking for and seriously could have easily dropped $200 in that place, not because it was so expensive but just because they literally had everything and it all looked so good. Makes Whole Foods look peasant.
We had a fantastic time catching up with our friends and we were super glad we made the trip. Our timing for the car drive was about as close to perfect as we could have gotten too, which was impressive for a holiday weekend. I even got in a freezing cold, running in the freezing rain weekend run, which after this winter, is my specialty.
![]() |
| Rich and Owen |
| Ellie flying a plane |

No comments:
Post a Comment