Sunday, May 1, 2011

Corndogs and corndogs

Saturday was the Country Music Marathon here in Nashville.  While I threatened to run it after my disappointing appearance in Napa, I was unable to keep up my training and my knees are bothering more than I would like to admit.  However, I did find a way to completely enjoy a marathon--cheer for those running by.  Somehow I missed all 5 Boston marathons while living there because of work, even though it is a state holiday.  And I was just completely oblivious to the fact that NYC had a marathon during my years there.  But on Saturday, I was out cheering for my friends and other runners, and I was in full corndog fashion.  Even Mike said I was corny at heart.  But it was just plain great.  Calling out for runners with their names on their shirts, dancing to the music from the frat house party across the street, giving high fives all over the place, getting all choked up to see people running by, it was fantastic. My friend Carolyn and her two girls walked down to the route with us, and she and I looked at each other shortly after getting there and were both fighting back tears for some reason.  I can't even remember what triggered it, but she was so glad that I was as nerdy as she was for getting all emotional for the runners going by.  We stayed out until every person had gone by, and I will tell you, we inspired everyone and I know the runners are still talking about that awesome crowd at Sweetbriar and Belmont Blvd.

Since the marathon starts at 7, we were finished by 10 as we were watching at about mile 5.  That afternoon the family packed into the car and headed down to Franklin, TN.  It is about 30 min south of here, but very popular and has a quaint Main St area and a yearly Main Street Festival.  It was pretty packed, and had 3 open stages, lots of food vendors (including corndogs) and arts and crafts.  However, I still feel like every time I hear some live music at these things they are all cover songs.  Anyways...there was a neat John Lennon art exhibit that we went to and wished we could afford some of the prints.  Managed to snag a birthday gift for Mom too!  It was high 70's with sun and couldn't have been a better day for it.

Sunday rolled in with some more thunderstorms.  It has been quite a week for rain down here.  We were fortunately spared the tornadoes, and I feel terrible for those that have suffered what appears to be complete mass destruction.  Eventually it cleared up in the afternoon and we actually went out for a family jog.  Ellie in the jogging stroller and Mike even held on for an additional loop around the park!  I was so excited because I wanted to go in the morning and it was pouring, and had been rained out twice earlier in the week as well.  Usually if I don't go right away, I don't go.  And not only did I get to go out for my run, but we went as a family and I got to cross of my list of things to do: run x 3 this week!  I have been feeling so lazy since NVM.

The girl in the yellow shirt giving the thumbs up is my friend Kelli, who I started running with towards the end of my training.  She did the half marathon and her sister, the girl in blue ran the whole.  In 3:19.  Crazy.

Just an example of some of the crazy costumes people run in.  I do highly recommend putting your name on your shirt though, it was super fun to call out, Go so and so!

I put Ellie in her little track suit.  She looked really cute and got lots of high fives. 

The old theater that the Imagine exhibit was in.  Loved the sign outside though.

My little Houdini trying to escape from her stroller.  She has managed to get the straps off and the sunshade down around her lap.  She almost escaped....

Lots of food vendors.  But in the south you get trucks like this that are just huge smokers.

Baby Einstein.  Mike thought she looked like Einstein when she put her food all in her hair. 

No comments:

Post a Comment