Monday, January 2, 2012

Why?

Yes, why?  Isn't it a little too early to start getting the "why?"s.

Me: Ellie, it's time to brush your teeth.
Ellie: Why?
Me: Because it's time to go to bed.
Ellie: Why?
Me:  Because it is 7:30.
Ellie: Why?
Me: Because that is what time the clock says.
Ellie: Why?
Me: Because that is how time moves.
Ellie: Why?
Me: Why?
Ellie:  huh.

Apparently the trick is to answer the Why? with a Why?  Yeah, I know, I am so saavy that I figured it all out.  Please.  I just can't believe that we are already at the why stage.  It really does seem too soon for it.

Her previous trick was to say "No, I don't".  In some situations it seemed really grown up and funny to hear her say it.  Such as, 'Ellie, do you have to go to the bathroom?'  No, I don't.  And she said it so matter-of-factly.  But when it was time to finish her dinner, and I said, 'Ellie, you have to have one bite of x before you can get down from the table', and the response was a very loud and even more matter-of-factly "NO I DON'T"!, well that wasn't so cute.  Although I was totally laughing in my napkin.

No comments:

Post a Comment