I have decided that my new favorite day of the year is October 9th.
Not that I don't love my daughter's birthday, but it is easily about 1 month of stressing for me. Possibly unnecessarily, but just the same, I am pretty damn exhausted by the time it's over.
Mike thought I lost my marbles this year. We try very hard to stay away from things that are "branded", but of course when I asked Ellie what she wanted on her birthday cake, she immediately responded with "Elsa". I knew that there was no way I was going to get away without it, but somehow hoped we could keep it neutrally themed (such as the owl and ballerina themes the last two years). Since it was going to be Frozen, I decided I might as well do it. Besides, isn't half the reason we don't let her have everything that is stamped with Elsa and Anna and Frozen so that it remains special for these occasions?
I tried my best to keep it with personal touches as well as the standard Frozen crap. And I am going to be the horrible mom in class that didn't invite all of the kids in her class to the party (there are 14 girls!!). The kids each got one of the plastic Elsa and Anna cups, she sent out the Frozen invitations (they were the same price as the neutral themed ones), and there were some Frozen napkins or something on the table. We played pin the nose on Olaf (hand sketched by me, noses cut out by Lisa), musical chairs to the Frozen songs and had potato sack races. The snacks were themed as were the take home bags.
But throughout all of this, it was the perfect party, and not because of all of the silly Frozen stuff, but because it was at our house, in our backyard with friends and family and it was just a great day. It was fall but the sun was shining and it was warm enough out. We were outside the whole time and the kids were great, even despite Ellie getting stung by a bee during musical chairs. Everyone, parents and kids had a great time. And it was just, absolutely just what I had hoped for.
But thank god that my sister Lisa came to help me out. Jesus she is a hard worker, and came solo with her two kids and was my main man!
 |
| The cousins hanging out on the bed watching Snow White |
 |
| The cake |
 |
| I forgot to mention the school party. We did snowflake shaped rice krispie treats with fruit salad. |
 |
| "Do you want to build a snowman?" make it yourself goodie bags for the party |
 |
| Cousins hanging out before the party. Charlotte couldn't wait another second for Ellie to open the present. |
 |
| The Olaf for pin the carrot nose on Olaf |
 |
| My trusty assistant! |
 |
| Backyard set up! |
 |
| The treat table. The kids got a huge kick out of the chocolate chex mix labeled "Sven's droppings". |
 |
| Ellie promised she wasn't going to cheat this year |
 |
| ...questionable |
 |
| The heated potato sack races! They were pretty hilarious |
 |
| Musical chairs |
 |
| Time for cake! |
 |
| Mike cut me out of this pic |
 |
| Opening gifts. |
No comments:
Post a Comment