Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Kindergarten

This year Ellie started kindergarten.  That's right.  Kindergarten.  My little girl is all grown up.

I am a strange mix of extremely sappy without nostalgia.  I'm not one of the mom's that's standing outside kindergarten crying because my daughter isn't my baby any more or because of all the time we won't be spending together anymore now that she is in school (since that never happened anyways).  I'm crying because I am so proud of her, hopping onto the bus all independent, not afraid and going off into the world all by herself.  And most importantly, knowing she can do it.  Sure, I look back at the pics and think "how did it all go by so fast?" and try and remember the time when she was just a really, fat, not so cute but yet adorable little girl (that everyone called a boy).  In fact, I can specifically remember our condo at 76 Forbes St in Boston where she was born, and looking down at her while changing probably one of her explosive poop diapers and wondering just who she was going to grow up to be.  What's her personality going to be like?  What is she going to look like? Certainly she isn't all grown up yet, but she definitely has a lot of both Mike and I's strongest personality traits and thankfully is starting to look like me.  Not because Mike isn't good looking, I'm just sick of hearing how both of my kids look just like Mike.  I mean, he didn't house them for 9 months, push them out and let them suck the life out of his boobs did he?

With her starting kindergarten has also started soccer, PTA meetings, open houses and newcomers socials.  I mean, these people really keep you busy.  I was amazed when I went to her open house and the teacher already had a photo slide show about 10 minutes long.  The kids had only had 2 full days of school at that point!  It is a little alarming that the chalkboard has been replaced by the white board which is connected to a computer, but hey, I guess that is reality now.  Maybe I should ask Ellie how to switch my phone over to the iPhone 5 which is of course, already obsolete.

First day of kindergarten (for real--not the stupid 30 min session we had on the first day where I basically had to bring in all the school supplies we bought)

I stole this idea from Lisa Chatigny.  Ellie apparently wants to be a cow girl when she grows up.  Huh. 

Walking to the bus stop.  Yes she could actually fit inside the book bag.

Giving her a quick hug before she got on the bus.  It all happened so fast...

Getting on the bus with Mary the bus monitor

This was her getting off the bus during her bus orientation which was the week before school

No comments:

Post a Comment