Yes. That is right. I took my not even 3 year old daughter to a manicure. I think I have probably gotten about a total of 5 in my entire life. I think my friend Erika almost died when I sent her the photo.
But Ellie D. has been such a fantastic big sister, she deserved it. On Tuesday it was Zack's first doctor's appointment. Mike had an interview in the city that afternoon and needed to prepare and my mother wasn't able to make it until later that night because she had to go to a funeral. So it was me and my two kids heading to the pediatrician's office for an 11:50 am appointment. Perfect, right at lunchtime and edging into nap time.
Let's just rewind about 3 years back to when it was time for Ellie's first doctor's appointment. I was a complete wreck, couldn't have made it there without Mike, and spent the entire visit in a big sobbing fit with the doctor (she was a family practitioner after all). I didn't have a spare outfit and she somehow made a mess out of the one that she was in. It was a nightmare.
Tuesday was a breeze. I had snacks galore for Ellie, a minimum of 3 outfits for Zack (I have not successfully made it through a diaper change is less than 2 outfits, 3 diapers, 10 wipes and 1 changing table cover), was ON TIME and shed not a tear. Ellie was fantastic. She played her part of big help to Mommy (i.e she didn't throw any fits and generally behaved well. She did completely empty the diaper bag and make a big crummy mess of the exam room but oh well). When we got home at 1:15 we were only able to eat half of our lunch before we scooted out the door to bring Mike to the train. She didn't nap but did stay in her room as instructed and quietly read books.
So I decided it was time for a special treat for her. Usually this entails some sort of sugary sweet that she isn't typically permitted. She actually thinks 3 M&Ms constitutes a treat. And she had been getting lots of gifts as well as Zack from a bunch of people. So somehow I decided that a manicure was going to be the treat. We walked down to the salon and she was so freaking cute the whole salon was in stiches. She picked out her color, which was the first one she saw, but seemingly appropriate. She sat very ladylike and put her hands up like a professional. She even declared she wanted her toes done after she was through. Best $8 I ever spent.
| Just like a pro |
| Out of order....drying the nails! This was probably the hardest part of the whole thing for her. Sitting still for 5 min! |
| She got very concerned when the lady was putting on the clear pre-coat that she wasn't going to put on the sparkly magenta. |
No comments:
Post a Comment