As our time here in the Southeast is nearing to an end, we have decided to finally tour the area as we had said we were going to do the whole time we were here. So now we are cramming in as many weekend trips as we can.
First up was Louisville, KY. I can not say it the way that it is meant to be said down here, something along the lines of Lou-vull, without sounding like a complete dolt. After a lot of, ahem, controversy over the hotel room between Mike and I, we headed up on Sat morning and stayed the night to check out the city.
First stop was in the downtown area so called NuLu (don't ask me what it means) which is a sort of up and coming, hipster-esque. After lunch at Toast we stopped in a super quaint little handmade candy store and got some KY specialties. Caramel covered marshmallows. They were awesome.
Next we went to the Louisville Slugger Factory and museum. We had the best time. I think it was a surprise to all of us how much fun we had. The tour of the factory was very interesting, and short enough to keep our attention. And at the end of the tour you get a little mini-bat, which was the end all be all to Ellie D. They ended up giving her an even minier-mini bat as well, so she had two, which she carried around with her for the rest of the time there. We couldn't go anywhere without the bats. Mike hit a few in the batting cages and Ellie on the T-ball.
Dinner was a bust, but going out to breakfast the next morning was fantastic. We never get to go out to breakfast and it was good. After driving around checking out the rest of the city, the grounds of Churchill Downs, some old historic areas of Louisville, we decided that we had seen enough and headed out to the Maker's Mark Distillery.
Now, I realize I come from a small town, but powdunk KY is a million times worse. We truly felt like we were in the middle of nowhere. But the distillery itself was extremely quaint, and you could see how these areas survived during the prohibition (because you might get lost or die on your way out there). The tour was pretty neat and I even got to dip my own bottle of Makers! After buying it at a mark up of course. All in all, it was a fun little escape, although I am not going to suggest that anyone rush off to Louisville, KY anytime soon.
Next up--Asheville, NC and hopefully some Smoky Mountains
Mike and Ellie in front of the largest bat in the US.
It is not made out of wood in case you are wondering
Ellie practicing her swing with Derek Jeter.
Mikey on deck
He had whiffed the first two. If you can't make out what he says, it is "I am crushing them"
She was here for a while....
Hopefully these things don't have head lice in them. That is all I remember from Jenny League softball.
A large vat of fermenting alcohol. Smells like rising bread. I was a little taken aback when he suggested that everyone on the tour stick there fingers in to take a taste. But I suppose alcohol is a good astringent.
There is a very specific way in which you must dip the bottles. I think I got about a B because there weren't very many drips.
Not too bad though!
It was actually snowing at times, but it was quite pretty there
No comments:
Post a Comment