Sunday, November 13, 2011

Adventures of the overtired child

Or the beginning of the terrible twos.  Chalking her behavior up to being overtired is an easier pill to swallow though because it insinuates that this will at some point end.

Not sure it was daylight savings (extra hour of sleep my ass) or the fact that Ellie was a little sick with an upper respiratory cold this week, but her sleep habits got completely out of whack.  As previously mentioned, she is not a late or long sleeper, but this week has been TERRIBLE.  The week started out with her up at 4 and it evened out at 6 am by the end of the week.  Parallel to this horrible sleeping was some horrible behavior.  The slightest infraction might send her spiraling into an inconsolable crying fit.  Saturday was the crowning glory with an on the ground, kicking and crying in the middle of a bookstore fit.  Mike and I tend to play the, "fine if you won't get up then we will just walk away" routine and that generally works.  However, I completely succumbed to the stares of all the other parents as we went out of sight from this monster in the aisle.  Mike and I totally looked at each other when the clock read 5:15 pm and said outloud, 'is it really 2 more hours until the babysitter gets here?'

Mike and I are pretty strict, Mike being way better about enforcing rules while I tend to coddle a bit more trying to coax her to do the right thing.  Tonight, well, even Mike lost his patience, and for those of you that know Mike, that speaks a lot.  Needless to say, she went to bed without a book, me singing her any songs, no cuddling and me in tears because I just feel so mean (Mike clearly had to step in to execute this because I am too emotional about it).  Although she had it coming.  Like I said, it's been a looooooooooong week.  Please just let it be a phase (and one that doesn't last until she turns 3)

No comments:

Post a Comment