Friday, July 7, 2017

The days are long but the years are short

Procrastination is sort of a funny thing.  Some people suffer from it (me) while others seem to be completely immune (Mike).  But those that do suffer, tend to suffer badly.  And there becomes a critical point in which you have actually procrastinated too long or too far, and then the hurdle seems impossible to get over.  That is what happened with this blog.  In fairness to me, the last 2 years have flown by at a warp speed that has me understanding the midlife crisis.  Time chunks seem to bite off in months instead of days, and weeks seem to fly by without so much as a hello.  We bought the house and I truly underestimated how much time and energy it was going to take to get it set up (i.e. there is still a pile of framed pictures on the floor that has literally been there for 2 years now) and the maintenance of the house itself is a huge time suck.  You add a busy clinical practice and a husband with a full time job, slightly longer commutes and kids getting older, and it is a recipe for just no time.

But yet somehow this is all still a factor of procrastination.  Here I was, sitting on my computer scanning the internet for some ottoman stools that I am looking for and realized I could waste hours doing that and the likelihood of me actually purchasing something was going to be extremely low, or I could finally get over the hurdle of catching up on my blog (as promised in my NYE resolutions this year).  It doesn't take long and if I chip away at it I can make it.  I might even try and add in some recent posts instead of making the hurdle so big as to not blog on current stuff until I am caught up.  Since if I do that I will always be having to remember 2 years ago.

This exercise is going to be interesting in many ways.  One, it is likely to be a narrative photo montage.  Two, going back two years is going to be nostalgic and at the same time anxiety provoking (see the midlife crisis comment above).  It really freaks you out how quickly time goes by, and even more so, how quickly your children grow up.

Just to get up to speed, I wanted a 3rd baby, but at past 39 and with a husband who is adamantly against it, I guess I am just going to have to suck it up.  So expect some serious nostalgia from the fact that Zack is now almost 5 and Ellie is almost a preteen.

Someone recently told me as they passed me barking at my children to wait to cross the road before I got there, that the days are long but the years are short.  I feel like it's my theme song these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment