Tuesday, July 1, 2014

The Drzewieckis don't camp

Last year, Brad stated something along the lines of "the Drzewiecki's don't camp", which I took offense too.  Mike, of course, thinks I am being irrational as we haven't actually ever camped as a family.  Sara and Lisa's family go camping a lot, and as I pointed out, we had never refused a camping trip nor had been officially invited on one, so I didn't think it was a fair statement.  This girl has camped a plenty.

This past weekend was the Drzewiecki's first camping trip.  Sort of.  I had had 3 weekends off in June, and had wanted to spend at least one of them with family.  Ellie missed Charlotte's birthday party and we didn't get to see the Wilsons really during our last trip to NH, so we wanted to try and get together with them.  Due to some mostly late planning, and inability to meet up with Sara in the Cape that weekend, we decided to rent some rustic cabins at the KOA in Mystic, CT and meet in the middle.  I am almost fairly positive that Lisa thought I was joking after neither of us could find a hotel room in the area for the night about staying there.  And there were no actual tent spots available for us to rent either.

Ellie got unbelievably excited about going camping, never mind seeing Charlotte.  I came home from work late on Friday to find a glitter covered poster on my desk that she and Cheyenne had made.  This girl is destined for camping.  We met up for lunch as a group in Olde Mistik village and had some good pizza.  We piddled around the shops and then headed down to the drawbridge to show up just in time for it to go up.  An ice cream later and we headed to the campground.  These places are more like resorts with playgrounds, a giant air pillow for the kids (and maybe adults) to jump on, a pool and a small store.  Who needed to go anywhere else?  We hit everything up before heading back to the cabins to grill out and make s'mores.

While the girls didn't quite make it the night in the cabin (over tired and over excited) together, they did enjoy walking around by themselves.  You know its good when another parent comes over to ask if we have seen the two little girls walking around without any supervision and 4 adults are standing there saying, sure, we know them.  Addie and Zack tooled around together and kept getting into stuff like little raccoons.  The adults finished off the campfires with some Cards Against Humanity before hitting the sack.  I think Brad awarded us at least 5 camping points.  We are not sure how we are to redeem them yet.

Sunday morning we headed over to Watch Hill, RI to go to the beach for a bit.  Mike and I weren't really thinking much about it and were too lazy to don our bathing suits, but it was a fun little area with a carousel for the kids.  After a quick but hectic lunch we said our good byes and headed our separate ways.  It was only a bit over 24 hours but felt like a full vacation weekend!

Daddy's girl

Mr. D chillin' after his first dip in the pool this summer




"No no!"  Mr. D telling the ducks in the village how it is after they tried to nip his hand.  They thought he was offering them some food...

Working the well

Trying to figure out what is going on with this bridge...

Who doesn't love ice cream?

Ellie giving Charlotte the sign

These two...

Love, love, love this pic

These s'mores were top notch.  Chocolate was well melted.  

WILSON!  Ba-dump, ba-dump

Sand for lunch

"Sheesha, will you take us in the water again?"  

Ellie's ready for the ocean!

No comments:

Post a Comment