Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Strawberry fields forever

After getting some amazing strawberries at the farmer's market one Saturday, I had a fleeting idea that I should take the kids strawberry picking.  I quickly discredited the idea thinking the kids are probably too small and envisioning a complete disaster of kids running loose in the fields and no strawberries being picked.  Fortunately my friend Erika emailed me 2 days later asking me if I wanted to take the kids strawberry picking with her and her son who is just 3.  I figured it couldn't just be coincidence and decided to sign on.

The fun part was going up to her house in CT with the kids (minus the horrible traffic on the Hutch) and spending the night with them first.  This is the type of sleepover you don't ever plan when you are young and single and living in a small apartment together in NYC surviving medical school, but are so grateful to have now because your friendship is still that strong.  The kids had a blast (aren't everyone else's toys more fun than your own?) and we headed out first thing on Saturday morning for the berry picking.  The weather couldn't have been more perfect, sunny but allowing the long pants and shirts to prevent ticks from biting.  It was CT after all.  We loaded up on the tractor and headed out to the fields.

Ellie LOVED it.  Strawberry picking is actually great for little kids because the bushes are low to the ground the the strawberries are hidden under the leaves so it turns into sort of a search.  It was definitely a moment of seeing my personality in her as we both ferociously searched for the best ones.  And there were so many!  It seemed like everywhere you looked it was just a perfectly red, plump, shiny strawberry.  Poor Zack, who loves strawberries, was strapped in the Ergo on my back and was desperately squirming to get his hands on one.  I knew as soon as he was let loose it was over.  Although the constant squatting and standing back up with him on the back was no picnic either.  All in all it lasted probably about 25 min of actual picking.

The real bummer of the trip was that there was a lady in the field who told me NOT to refrigerate the strawberries because they wouldn't keep.  So I left them on the counter, only to find 50% of them molded over the next morning.  BOOOOO!

Every kids place has a painted piece of plywood to stick your face into

My little picker

Showing off the goods

"It's too heavy!"

Finally enjoying his strawberry

Erika, Ethan and Ellie

No comments:

Post a Comment