Sunday, May 18, 2014

Sometimes you have to lose to win

So we all know that I passed my boards.  Boring story by now.  I can't remember if I mentioned the drunken bet that I made or not, but am too lazy to go back and read through the posts.  I will therefore tell (or retell) it now.  The night after I got back, we went over to our friends the Crowleys house and I went with the purpose of tying one on.  Which I promptly did and then drunkcnly obsessed about the test.  At some juncture, after everyone probably repeatedly telling me there was no way I had failed, I made a bet which stated that if I passed, I had to take everyone out to dinner (total 6 people). If I failed, they had to take me out to dinner.  It's not clear if that included a total of 5 dinners or not, the details were pretty fuzzy.

In good sport, I planned to make good on my bet.  However taking 6 people out to dinner in NYC is definitely not something in the budget.  So instead I had a dinner party.  The theme was Balthazar restaurant, a NYC West Village staple.  I have their cookbook and it's mostly classic French food.  The menu was obsessively planned out, with each course having a recipe from the cookbook, as well the procurement of all of the ingredients and wine pairings.  And most importantly, no kids.  I think all in all it was a debt well repaid.
Ellie D helping me roll out the crusts for the tarlets

Mr. D helping by just being cute

The menu

First course: Steak tartare frico napolean

The ladies at the table

Unfortunately we were so caught up in the evening that I forgot to take a picture of the second course.  

Stuffed saddle of lamb with gruyere polenta and fennel confit


Camembert profiteroles with fig sauce and homemade chocolate truffles

No comments:

Post a Comment