Saturday, January 25, 2014

Close encounters of the freezing kind

January has been COLD.  With one sprinkle of a spring weekend.  We have managed to weather the storms moderately well, and it has been a very busy month.

We started off the month by reigniting our annual Syracuse trip.  It went on a bit of a hiatus when we moved down to Nashville.  We got an early start on the trip after some snow that canceled Mike's work up to Pam's place.  We left the kids there on Sat morning and headed to 'Cuse to watch an extremely boring basketball game.  It was very unfortunate because we had the best seats we've ever had secondary to the students still being out.  Very boring game.  But an excellent night in the city with good friends so no complaining here.

The following weekend we had a bit of a thaw, and I started the weekend with an excellent 10K in Central Park to knock off one of my 9+1 races.  I couldn't believe how warm it was on Jan 11 after it was sub zero the week before.  I clocked in a 47:07 and called it a raging success.  Immediately after that I rushed home to bring Ellie to her first live musical performance of Fancy Nancy at the Tarrytown Music Hall.  It brought back nice memories as I lived there for one year in med school.  I, of course, was veclempt for most of the show having a fantastic "Mommy-daughter" moment.  It was a perfect performance for Ellie too and I think she will be ready for something on Broadway next year.  Later on that evening Mike and I headed into the West Village to enjoy the Winter Jazz Fest, again relishing the nice weather as we traipsed around from venue to venue.  It was a VERY busy Saturday.  I can't exactly remember what we did the next day but I am pretty sure it wasn't much.

The following weekend was my Vegas trip and Mike took the kids to Stepping Stones in CT.  He did a great job with the kids, as expected.  I did not receive a single complaint or whining text and I thanked him profusely for it.

This week it has been back down to freezing.  We have essentially been shut out of our back room and subsequently the TV because of the cold.  We were super lucky to have a night out with our friends the Osinskis and Crowleys without our kids.  There have been numerous family nights but its very hectic with the 5 kids running around.  We somehow managed a night out to dinner and it was just perfect.  They even sat us at a round table.  Zack tried to throw a monkey wrench in it with some spontaneous vomiting, but after two hours of no output I decided the 14 yo neighbor could handle it.

This afternoon I took Ellie skiing to a local place that reminded me of Temple Mtn that I frequented as a child.  There were successes and epic failures of the trip, but overall she is still very enthusiastic about learning how to ski (although professes to be a perfect skier and hence does not need a lesson), doesn't groan about being cold or the ski boots hurting her and is excited about going again.  I can't say we made much progress, but we had a great afternoon together, outdoors and I am extremely sore for it.  I don't know how my dad dealt with teaching all of us to ski.  But I am totally calling on him to pitch in for a lesson in 2 weeks.  It takes a lot of effort, but I am extremely determined to teach her how to ski.

At Fancy Nancy. I was clearly not as put together as the other mothers who had their kids in tiaras and boas.  I thought a dress was a good start...

My little man with past sauce all in his hair

No comments:

Post a Comment