Monday, July 22, 2013

The Molar Crown Affair

You know how they say that doctor's are the worst patients?  I am no exception to that rule.  Especially with my teeth.

I've always had great teeth.  No braces, no cavities.  Wisdom teeth still in.  Had to have a few pulled as a kid, but so what.  So if it ain't broke, don't fix it, right?  I think the longest stretch that I went without going to the dentist was 10 years.  Yup.  10 years.  Pretty sure Mike started threatening not to kiss me anymore if I didn't got.

And you know what?  I had no cavities after 10 years!  Dentist said I had great teeth.  And I didn't even floss. 

However my teeth are not immune to pregnancy.  After Ellie I had 3 small cavities.  Dentist wanted to fill them for preventative measures.  Well, after that, I didn't go back to the dentist for about 3 years, until after I had Zack (albeit now I was actually paying dental insurance the whole time not to go.  Mike had to go though.  His teeth suck.)

I went in January for a teeth cleaning.  Right away the Xray tech told me I had a big cavity.  The dentist spent all of 30 seconds with me to tell me I needed a root canal, the cavity was really big and near the root.  What?!?!  My tooth doesn't hurt.  I came here for a cleaning?  What the hell is this crap?

Unfortunately I had to tell Mike.  Which assured that I was going to have to get this taken care of lest I have him breathing down my back.  It took 6 months and 7, yes 7 dentist appointments to get this stupid molar root canal and crown.  You can safely assume it also including a lot of complaining on my end as well.  Mostly because between the root canal and getting the crown was a significant amount of consternation, phone calls between dentists and insurance companies and determining that our dental insurance sucks.  All of which I a.) have no interest in making said phone calls or appointments and b.) don't have time for such nonsense. In fact, if it wasn't for Mike constantly goading me to get the tooth taken care of, it might never have happened. 

The funny part--it's not even that I don't like going to the dentist.  I just don't feel the need to have to go.  And I am also a born again flosser.  I finally somehow made the habit change to floss.  Crazy.  I think its pretty much the equivalent of quitting smoking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment