Monday, July 1, 2013

Being *that* mom

That's right.  Last week I was so THAT mom.  You know, the one who is dragging their obnoxious, screaming child out of the grocery store.

And of course, I was in the farthest corner of the store from the door.  It was a LONG walk.  With a lot of "no Mommy! NO!" on the way out.  At 5 pm.  When the store was packed.

Rewind just a bit and I left work early to go to the market because we had gotten home late on Sunday from NH.  Ellie is always asking to go to TJs, so I figured I would pick her up and take her with me.  Sort of a special errand for her.  You know, to do something nice.  I could've just gone to Whole Foods by myself...

Not to force you all to relive the drama, but there was a lot of crying and whining and heads were starting to turn and eyes were glaring and I just couldn't take it anymore.  Clearly we had been building up to this sort of a thing at home as well.  I finally just picked her up, left the groceries in the store and hauled her out of there.  With fire streaming out my eyes and smoke out my ears.  Because, you know, I had tried to do something nice.

I realize going to the grocery store isn't really the dream of a 3 1/2 yo.  But in my mind I was leaving work early and wanted to spend a little extra time with my kid.  And not have it erupt into WW X (that is how many throw downs we have had that we are now on world war 10).  Mike and I are fairly exasperated right now.  And to make matters worse, at her parent teacher conference that is exactly what they said too.  Freaks out at nothing and goes from 0 to out of this world in less than 60. 

I know parenting isn't supposed to be easy, and Mike and I try to be really strict and that in this day and age, everything is telling you that you're a bad parent and it's all your fault how you're screwing your kid up.  And I certainly have my fair share of mommy guilt from working so much.  But I'm really starting to doubt myself, and that my precious Ellie, is actually a little devil.

 Mike's comment: We're f'd when she breaks up with her first boyfriend.

No comments:

Post a Comment