Monday, April 22, 2013

Friends with kids

It's funny how you go through these phases in your life.  I remember when we got married my aunt saying to me how she hadn't been to a wedding in a while.  Really?  Why not?  It seemed like I was going to about 5 a year.  Oh right, she wasn't in her late 20's with all of her friends getting married. 

Now, all of said friends are having kids!  Just like us!  You see how they have transitioned to the next phase like ourselves.  Some weekend recently (really, life is just a blur) we went up to go visit one of my good friends from NYMC and his sprouting family.

For some reason Mayo's family (sorry, I tried calling him Jason, but really we call him Mayo, his last name because, well, it's just a good nickname) is capable of getting themselves up and ready at a much faster pace than the Drzewieckis.  Every time we talk of getting together he is always trying to schedule something at 9 am or what not.  I'm typically barely out of my bathrobe by then, and not because I have just stumbled out of bed.  We are all familiar with Ellie's early morning habits.  I might also add that most of these plans haven't panned out, probably because there was no way I could commit to meeting somewhere at such an early hour.  I might also note that we had our second kid first.  Probably could've done it with just Ellie, but with Zack too, never.

This particular weekend we decided we would get it together to drive about an hour north to meet their new baby girl, Lily.  Jason and Leah also have a son named Avi who turns 3 in June.  Jason of course suggested we meet at 9 (remember, an hour away) and said that they would have some "Jew food" or something to that effect for breakfast.  Well, if we don't have to eat before we leave we should be able to make it.  I promised nothing before 9:30.

We excitedly made it at approximately 9:18am after spending almost the entire hour in the car playing "what do you see" with Ellie.  We had an excellent visit with the Mayo family who still astound me for their ability to be so together at such an early hour in the morning.  We enjoyed some Lox and bagels among many other treats.  Leah and I talked a lot of mommy and baby issues and the kids eventually warmed up such that Ellie was running around in her underwear.  Thanks to a little slip of the foot and landing in the creek in the back.  Don't ask me, the dads were in charge for a brief minute before that happened. 

We are mildly ahead of our friend curve with kids, so we look forward to many more joining us in parenthood.  It really is funny how it comes around full circle.  I can promise you about 10 years ago when we were in med school, Mayo and I never would have predicted our conversations of today.

Zack is clearly going to be a ladies man

Jason and Lily (5 weeks old).  Mike and Zack (7.5 months old)

Little Kevin Arnold aka Avi Mayo

Ellie D. rocking it out in her underwear

Zack trying to get one last hand hold in before saying good bye. 

No comments:

Post a Comment