For as crappy weather as April (may I remind you we had snow on April 15) and early May was, once it finally decided to hit spring, it really hit. The last few weekends have been amazing. Memorial Day weekend was no exception, and we spent as many hours outside as humanly possible.
Saturday was not so sunny and so after all the traveling and the weekend of birthday parties we just sort of chilled out. There was just something about knowing we had two more days to the weekend. On Sunday we went up to the Kensico Dam in Valhalla, my old NYMC stomping grounds. They have redone the area and it has a beautiful park and the reservoir behind the dam. We hiked all around and then played in the field for a bit. Unfortunately I can't quite seem to figure out how to upload videos using iMovie yet, but let me assure you there is some classic footage of Mike trying to teach Ellie how to do a head stand.
Monday was sort of my birthday celebration, and I wanted to go into Central Park for the day. We had an absolutely amazing day in the park as a family, and I couldn't have asked for more. Ellie was very excited about both the picnic in the park as well as the concept of celebrating my birthday. It sort of made me realize that yes, birthdays become less exciting as you get older (no puking on the FDR out of Suzy Greenberg) but more exciting too. Seeing how happy it made Ellie to make cupcakes with me and give me a card made the birthday very worthwhile. Although I can promise you that she will never make lemon cupcakes again. She was not a fan of the flavor.
In the park we hit up the row boats and by the end had ruined everyone else's trip with an extremely fussy and screaming Mr. D. I think he wasn't appreciating the life jacket. Mike has apparently never rowed a row boat, but that is a story for another day. My friend Jeff from NYMC met up with us for a bit while we hung out on the grass and had a picnic. As we ventured off we stopped and watched the very un-PC but very funny and talented Afrobats. We strolled along to the sheep meadow where it was absolutely packed with people. The spirit of the day was not lost as we attempted to explain to Ellie the actual meaning of Memorial Day and she proudly wore her flag themed dress. We made it home in time for dinner and cupcakes. Tuesday night was my actual birthday and Mike and I went out to the city. Other than the beauty of having a night out to ourselves, it was a bit of a dud. Can't win 'em all!
I am 36 if anyone is counting.
 |
| Ellie on top of the dam. |
 |
| Looking over the other side to the park |
 |
| Holding onto Ellie for dear life... |
 |
| Some early morning finger painting for Mr. D |
 |
| Jeff Siracuse |
 |
| Ellie hanging out on the grass |
 |
| I dare you to try and take these ice creams away from them |
 |
| Sheep Meadow looking south out of park |
 |
| Chilling in the wagon |
 |
| Climbing on the rocks |
 |
| Mommy and Ellie on my birthday |
 |
| Birthday dinner--I really don't look 36 right? I certainly don't feel it. |
No comments:
Post a Comment